Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I KiCKeD ThE HaBiT...well sort of...but im gettin there!

Hello.....for the last time..:'(

Well I kinda summed up everything on last weeks post....and that's probably because my weeks were off. XD but what the hey! another one is good! Hm all I really have to say about this week is that it went pretty much like last week, just different classes for studying.

Week one : went really well, actually better than any of the following weeks. It felt like how I began my life at college. I was on top of everything, ahead of everything and always giving it my best effort. When I came home I remembered my reinforcements and punishments made the choice to try my best with this program. When I caught myself procrastinating I would think of my parents nagging me for something, or would think about chatting on gmail and it was enough to keep me motivated. The napping still occurred, but it was difficult to do cold turkey though. However, after a couple of days without it, I started to feel myself get used to sleeping earlier.

Week two : I just got completely off of my tasks and everything was a bust. The punishments didn't kick in at all. I completely ignored them and just waited to the last minute for everything. I had the negative reinforcement, but that didn't work as well as I felt it would. However, the positive punishment stayed in mind and at least got me started before I really wanted to. One day ruined everything for the rest of the week. But, I think the slip up was a good eye opener because that's usually what happens to me week after week. I procrastinate and it usually ruins my week. But then again foul ups are good because you learn from them.

Week three: I would say it was a good recuperation, but I was still a bit behind on some things which just added to the stress. The punishments I kind of just ignored and only focused on the rewards. Maybe because even thinking of punishments just makes me want to find a way out of it, or avoid it somehow. Focusing on trying to have more time to relax, and my parents' nagging was a good motivator. Unfortunately, that week was really stressful regardless and I was trying to do my best to fit everything into a day...which is not enough time to do all the things wish you could accomplish. So I was working late, but not much longer :) but it was kind of worth it because I got a great grade in math that I really wasn't expecting.

Week 4: that week went really well. ha ha mostly because I didn't really have much to stress over. So I had more time to look at important things involving my future. My reinforcements is what works really well, and punishments just went out the window.

Week 5: Same as last week, and because I am an anxious person I was really concerned about the future of my education. Friends were spreading rumors about the summer and winter sessions at SAC which frightened me...and others were talking about acceptance letters from other schools...so that really kept me focused on my work too. Fear is a great motivator! -.-

I think my behavior did change. And I really do hope that it stays this way because there are a lot of responsibilities ahead of me, and if I keep procrastinating and going down that road, I am going to end up far behind, lost, and burnt out. This has helped me in many ways ( that I stated last blog). The reinforcements played a bigger role than the punishments, and I think choices during your awareness of procrastination are where the make it or break it points are. To make this long term it would really have to become habit; which I think is happening because today I was laying in bed, and just didn't want to take a nap :) I wanted to get things done. And since that was my biggest challenge, I believe that I can perfect a way to keep me from procrastinating. This was interesting just to see if it would work. I think humans can be operantly conditioned, just not by themselves :).

Again I bid all the readers adieu! Wish you all the best with the end of the semester!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Phylicia,
    I have similar feelings about operant conditioning. It seems as though punishments were not effective and that reinforcements don't so act as much reinforcers, but as something to help you think about your behavior which is definitely key.
    Good luck to you to too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phylicia its great to hear that your procrastination has decreased significantly!! since we both suffer from it i know what you're going through! just remember to manage your time well and that will keep your procrastination down! plan things out and use post it notes for the things you have to do each day or just write them up in your phone! good luck finishing the year off strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phylicia,

    Procrastination is always a problem for almost all college students. I think, it's even being a norm now for college student to procrastinate =).

    After all, I'm glad that your procrastination has decreased over this 8 weeks.

    Keep up a good work !!

    ReplyDelete